Dining Hall Host
Manages the overall Dining Hall ambience, to provide a clean, safe, and welcoming environment for GYV meal. Maintains standards of conduct among youths in Dining Hall before, during and after meals. Ensures the Dining Hall is set-up for use prior to meals and properly maintained / cleaned. Oversees the youth waiters. Serves as liaison between kitchen team and participants / staff.
- Ability to create & maintain a pleasant & safe dining environment, which includes managing group dynamics and “traffic flow.”
- Experience in a food-service setting, in particular waiting tables and/or other “front of house” duties.
- Ability to give instructions and constructive feedback to youths and staff
- Some previous supervisory experience
- Some previous experience working with youths 13‑18
- Ability to accept feedback and guidance
- Good character, integrity, and adaptability
- Enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience, and self-discipline
- Desire and ability to work in a camp setting
- Fluent in English
- High school graduate with at least one year post graduate work experience or education
- Minimum age, 19
Responsible to: Food Service Director
- supervises youth waiters, which includes training, scheduling
- acts as liaison between dining hall needs and kitchen needs, in particular, making sure people are getting “seconds” if needed and that dessert is served at the appropriate time
- check on special dietary needs for youths and staff, ensuring they get what is needed during meal times.
- supervises cabin & staff teams on kitchen / dining hall cleanup, which includes setting up the utensil pre-wash buckets in the dining hall.
- maintains the cleanliness and order of the dining hall on a daily basis (includes vestibule and bathrooms), reporting any identified maintenance needs to Food Service Director.
- designs and enforces dining hall seating and traffic , including assuring each table has a designated server and “buser”, and overseeing table clearing procedures.
- oversees decorating dining hall, including care of plants and flowers.
- sets the tables for meals
- maintains menu board, updating before each meal
- keeps tea table cleaned, stocked, and in order; utensil table orderly and clean; honey container and salt shakers filled.
- coordinates youth/staff birthday celebrations..
- assists in kitchen with meal prep, general order and cleanliness of storage areas, as priorities dictate and other duties allow. This may especially be needed during the rare occasions when kitchen staff are ill.)
- evaluate procedures and menu at end of season, making recommendations for next season
- Ability to communicate with staff and youth, and provide necessary instruction and training.
- Cognitive and communication abilities to plan and conduct necessary functions of dining hall management.
- Ability to communicate to staff and youths the safety regulations, sanitation procedures and emergency procedures in case of the need for evacuation of the dining hall.Physical ability to lift, unload, move food and supplies; lift dishes to their storage location
- Sensory ability to determine cleanliness of dishes, food contact surfaces, and kitchen area, in addition to assessing condition of food
- Cognitive and physical ability to operate electrical and mechanical kitchen equipment safely (dish washer, food processors, blenders, etc.)