Global Youth Village Welcomes Teens From Egypt!
The Global Youth Village has hosted hundreds of teenagers from around the globe since 1979. We are now accepting applications from Access students from Egypt. Sixteen youths will be selected to join us for a 19 day program. The sixteen will be divided into two different sessions.
- Session One: July 5-23
- Session Two: July 19 to August 7
Application deadline is March 27, 2017 – APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED!
A summer at Global Youth Village builds self-confidence, promotes flexibility, and leads to a well-rounded person. The 14-day Global Youth Village program and the five-day Washington, D.C. tour combines for an amazing educational experience. Our staff members are highly trained and qualified to make the most of this pivotal time in a teen’s life.
Youth Applicants must be:
- Between 17-19 years of age
- Completion of two years of Access program and demonstrating intermediate to advanced English speaking and comprehension skills
- An Egyptian citizen
- Demonstrated interest in the culture and history of United States
- Demonstrated interest in leadership development
- Committed to follow-on application of their learning (at least 1 formal presentation to peers upon return home)
- Preference will be given to individuals who have not previously traveled abroad nor would have the opportunity if it weren’t for this program. A candidate will be considered ineligible if s/he has previously traveled outside their home country on any ECA-funded program within the past three years or if s/he has accepted a scholarship for an impending U.S. Government-funded exchange program. (Sample programs include YES.)
- Willing to get a passport quickly at your expense
Legacy International does not discriminate based on race, gender, religion, and socio-economic status among participants. Legacy has an established record of including individuals with disabilities and insures an open and inclusive application process. We provide reasonable accommodations as needed to people with disabilities.
Your schedule will include:
- July 5: Arrival in Washington DC – meet and greet with Legacy staff
- July 6-19: 14 day immersion at Global Youth Village in foothills of Blue Ridge Mountains. Please review website for details and videos.Global Youth Village’s summer program.
- July 19-23: Study tour of Washington DC visiting local historical sites and learning about US government and history, service project, day at King’s Dominion Amusement park
- July 23: Depart USA for Egypt
- July 19: Arrival in Washington DC – meet and greet with Legacy staff
- July 20-24: Study tour of Washington DC visiting local historical sites and learning about US government and history, service project, day at King’s Dominion Amusement park
- July 24 to August 7: 14 day immersion at Global Youth Village in foothills of Blue Ridge Mountains. Please review website for details and videos.Global Youth Village’s summer program.
- August 7: Depart USA for Egypt
It costs nothing to apply.
With the generous support of the U.S. Department of State and other donors to Legacy International, most of the costs of this experience are covered. Applying students, their families, and sponsors pay only miscellaneous personal expenses named below.
Applicant and his/her sponsors and supporters pay for:
- Passports, clothing, medical exams, and/or suitcases.
- Pocket money for souvenirs while in United States (a minimum of $50 is recommended)
- Any airline fees for overweight luggage or second suitcase
Legacy and program sponsors provide:
- Round trip Air transportation with a chaperon Cairo to Washington, D.C. to Cairo
- All travel, lodging, meals, and any entrance fees during your stay in USA
- All program supervision, activities, including educational events, service projects, group cultural events, educational materials, adult escorts and supervision, etc.
- Accident and sickness insurance (subject to specific limitations)
Application deadline: March 27
Legacy staff to review applications and select 40 young people for phone interviews
10 minute phone interviews will be conducted between April 16 and 21 by Legacy staff.
April 21-30 Legacy staff making final determinations
May 1 – Finalist and Alternates announced
May 2-June 1 – Visa application and interviews
June 5 – Air tickets purchased and you are on your way!