JOB DESCRIPTION – Dining Hall Host / Hostess
Fosters and manages the GYV Dining Hall ambiance, providing a clean, safe, and welcoming environment during Village meals. Maintains standards of conduct among youths in Dining Hall before, during and after meal times. Ensures the Dining Hall is set-up for use prior to meals and properly maintained / cleaned. Oversees the youth waiters. Serves as liaison between kitchen team and rest of the Village population.
- Ability to create and maintain a pleasant, safe dining environment, which includes managing group dynamics and “traffic flow.”
- Experience in a food-service setting, in particular waiting tables or other “front of house” duties.
- Ability to give clear, concise instructions and constructive feedback to youths and staff
- Previous supervisory experience
- At ease and experience speaking in front of groups.
- Previous experience working with youths 13‑18
- Desire and ability to work in a rural camp setting
- Fluent in English
- High school graduate with at least one year post graduate work experience or education
- Minimum age, 20
Responsible to: Food Service Director
- Sets the tables for meals.
- Preps food for daily “salad bar” and “breakfast bar” options.
- Maintains the cleanliness and order of the dining hall on a daily basis (includes daily bathroom cleaning and floor mopping), reporting any identified maintenance needs to Food Service Director.
- Acts as liaison between diners and the kitchen staff. In particular, makes sure people are getting “seconds” if needed and that dessert is served at the appropriate time.
- Monitors overall Village eating patterns and trends during meal times, making sure each table has enough food and water, and providing feedback to kitchen team as to which dishes were popular or not.
- Checks on special dietary needs for individuals, making sure special dishes prepared gets to their specific table, etc.
- Supervises cabin & staff teams on kitchen / dining hall cleanup.
- Establishes dining hall seating and traffic patterns. This includes assuring each table has a designated server and “buser”, and overseeing table clearing procedures.
- Oversees decorating dining hall, including care of plants and flowers.
- Maintains menu board, updating before each meal
- Keeps tea table cleaned & stocked; utensil table orderly and clean.
- Coordinates youth & staff birthday celebrations at meals.
- Assist in kitchen with meal prep, general order and cleanliness of storage areas, as priorities dictate and other duties allow. (This may especially be needed on occasions when kitchen staff are ill.)
- Evaluate kitchen and Dining Hall procedures and menu at end of season, making recommendations for next season
Secondary Responsibilities: (to be determined, depending on interests and skills of the applicant):
- As wish and able, offer free time activity options to youths, or fulfill some other programmatic role of interest.
- As wish and able, help w/ select evening events (design / deliver)
- Fulfill select other support functions as outlined in the general job description, applicable to all staff (i.e. helping set up and break down facility, etc.)
- Ability to communicate with staff and youth, and provide necessary instruction and training.
- Cognitive and communication abilities to plan and conduct necessary functions of dining hall management.
- Ability to communicate to staff and youths the safety regulations, sanitation procedures and emergency procedures in case of the need for evacuation of the dining hall.
- Physical ability to lift, unload, move food and supplies; lift dishes to their storage location
- Sensory ability to determine cleanliness of dishes, food contact surfaces, and kitchen area, in addition to assessing condition of food
- Cognitive and physical ability to operate electrical and mechanical kitchen equipment safely (dish washer, food processors, blenders, etc.)