Manage overall meal production for Global Youth Village residences and guests, working with a team composed of an assistant and prep cooks while preparing entrees, soups, sauces, baked goods and desserts. Observance, enforce and maintain kitchen sanitation, health and safety procedures. Applicants must have some professional experience within the food service arena, or have extensive experience in various aspects of quantity cooking (preferably vegetarian). Supervisory experience also preferred.
- Experience as a cook or assistant cook, preferably in an institutional setting
- Training and experience in vegetarian cooking for large groups
- Ability to work well within a team, with daily deadlines.
- Ability to prepare foods for special needs groups (vegans, food allergies, diabetes, etc.) as needed.
- Knowledge of food preparation and service standards, health, safety, and sanitation procedures.
- Some previous supervisory experience (preferably in food service field)
- Fluent in English.
- Minimum High School graduate with at least one year post graduate work experience or education.
- Minimum age: 21
Responsible to: Food Service Director
- Work with Food Service Manager to estimate needs, menu changes, special dietary ramifications of particular meals, and to order, receive and store foodstuffs and supplies.
- Give instructions to and monitor the work of the prep cooks, ensuring that the meal is served on time, in the proper quantity, and up to standards of quality and sanitation.
- Oversee seasoning of dishes.
- Oversee deliveries.
- Function as general all-around cook for meals and special events.
- Short order cook or bake as needed.
- Assist in the cleaning and set-up of the food service area at the beginning of season. Assist in kitchen closing at end of season.
- Work as part of the team to maintain sanitary & safety standards throughout the program.
- Evaluate procedures and menus at end of season, making recommendations for next season.
- As wish and able, assist in the design and delivery of select evening programs or other special events on occasion.
- As wish and able, teach occasional afternoon activities or electives or fulfill some other programmatic role of interest.
- Fulfill select other support functions as outlined in the general job description, applicable to all staff (i.e. helping set up and break down facility, etc.)
- Physical ability to lift, unload, move food and supplies; lift dishes to their storage location.
- Sensory ability to determine cleanliness of dishes, food contact surfaces, and kitchen area, in addition to assessing condition of food.
- Cognitive and physical ability to operate electrical and mechanical kitchen equipment safely (dish washer, food processors, blenders, etc.).
- Ability to communicate with staff and youth, and provide necessary instruction and training.
- Cognitive and communication abilities to conduct necessary functions of kitchen management.
- Ability to communicate to staff and youths the safety regulations and emergency procedures in case of the need for evaluation of dining hall.