Work under the guidance of the Health Care Coordinator (an RN) to provide basic health services. Monitor the health, cleanliness, and risk management standards of the overall program. Provide / ensure adequate health conditions for all. Duties include: assisting the nurse with health screenings and general first aid, assisting in care of ill staff or participants, escorting people to physicians for treatment, stocking first aid kits, administering some routine medications. Must be 21 years of age or older, with a valid U.S. driver’s license and a good driving record. First aid and CPR certification is also required.
- Experience working with youths (ages 13-18) and adults, preferably in a health care role.
- Ability to establish work priorities, to respond to unanticipated needs and emergencies, and work under pressure.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with others (oral & written).
- Desire and ability to work in a rural, camp setting.
- Fluent in English; ability to converse in other languages helpful.
- Current CPR and first aid certifications; prefer EMT or Wilderness Response training.
- Minimum age, 21 years old.
- Valid, U.S. or Canadian driver’s license, with a good driving record.
- Interest in health care, homeopathy, and multicultural approaches to health and illness.
Responsible to: Health Care Coordinator
- Assist RN in establishing system and carrying out health screening of arriving and departing staff and participants, and a system of screening for out-of-camp trips.
- Set-up Health House.
- Stock and issue first aid kits to all cabins and activity areas. Have travel first aid kits and release forms on hand for trips out-of-camp.
- Ensure each staff member and participant has a health history form on file, as required, along with medical releases from parents or guardians.
- Conduct inventory of supplies and place orders as needed, ensuring timely arrival of supplies. Monitor budget.
- Implement appropriate first aid measures as needed, reporting such incidents to the RN, and referring people to the RN as needed.
- Assist RN in implementing medical routines including record keeping in medical log, disposal of medical waste, and administering select routine medication, managing and safeguarding medications.
- Cover the health house during open hours (two 30 minute periods per day) to:
a. administer medications as guided by RN
b. administer general first aid
c. screen and refer to RN as needed for health problems
- Arrange appointments and escort youths or staff to physicians for treatment.
- Assist with the filing of health insurance claims.
- Participate in and assist RN in leading specific topics of staff training pertaining to health and safety, CPR, first aid, and universal precautions for infection control.
- Assist RN in completing and filing accident and incident reports.
- Monitor health of staff, including weekly screening of food service staff on a weekly basis.
- Cover or arrange coverage for the health house when a participant is admitted for rest, care and/or isolation.
- Keep the Health House clean and orderly.
- Along with the nurse, monitor / evaluate camp procedures, facilities, and conditions and suggest modifications that would create more healthful conditions in the camp.
- Perform other duties as necessary. Some duties may be reassigned or others may be added as needs arise.
- Assist in the design and delivery of select evening programs or other special events, approximately once a week.
- Teach occasional afternoon activities or electives or fulfill some other programmatic role of interest
- Fulfill other support functions as outlined in the general job description, applicable to all staff (i.e. being part of a meal clean-up team once a day, helping set up and break down facility, etc.)
- Ability to effectively communicate with youths, staff and supervisor.
- Ability to communicate to staff and youths the safety regulations and emergency procedures in case of an all-camp emergency.
- Visual, tactile, auditory and ambulatory ability to identify and respond to medical emergencies, and environmental and other hazards related to area.
- Cognitive and communication abilities to carry out specific responsibilities of the position.