JOB DESCRIPTION – Dining Hall / Kitchen Assistant
Maintains the overall Dining Hall ambience, to provide a clean, safe, and welcoming environment for GYV meals. Ensures the Dining Hall is ready for use prior to meals. Sets tables, keeps dining hall area clean and orderly. Assists in service buffet, stocking, and kitchen cleaning.
- Ability to work well under minimal supervision; takes direction well
- Good attention to detail; strong organizational skills
- Experience in a food-service setting (waiting tables, janitorial experience)
- Self motivated; completes tasks in a timely manner
- Physically capable of lifting and moving heavy objects
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with others
- Desire and ability to work in a rural camp setting
- Fluent in English
- High school graduate with at least one year post graduate work experience or education
- Minimum age, 20
Responsible to: Food Service Director
- Responsible for opening and closing down the Dining Hall each day.
- Sets tables for meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner).
- Sets up buffet table (hot plates, serving utensils, dishes) and maintains its cleanliness during meal service
- Brings food to buffet table and replenishes needed items; clears buffet table at end of meal.
- Prepares food items for daily “breakfast bar” options (cereal, yogurt, fruit, juice, bread, bagels, etc.)
- Makes sure people with special diets (vegan, peanut-free, etc.) receive food prepared for them.
- Replenishes water and condiments on individual tables during meal times.
- Sets up pre-wash for dishes in kitchen and utensil pre-wash in dining hall for meal clean-up.
- Supervises cabin & staff during dining hall cleanup.
- Maintains cleanliness and order in the dining hall (includes daily bathroom cleaning, dining hall floor mopping, vestibule cleaning)
- Keeps tea table cleaned & stocked; utensil table orderly and clean.
- Maintains menu board, updating before each meal
- Helps set-up, decorate and breakdown dining hall for special occasions
- Mops kitchen, dish room, kitchen extension, and walk-in floors daily
- Helps stock and process food orders
- Reports any identified maintenance needs to Food Service Director.
- Evaluate Dining Hall procedures and responsibilities at end of season, making recommendations for next season
- Ability to communicate with staff and youth, and provide necessary instruction
- Cognitive and communication abilities to plan and conduct necessary functions of dining hall/kitchen assistant.
- Physical ability to lift, unload, move food and supplies; lift dishes to their storage location
- Sensory ability to determine cleanliness of dishes and food contact surfaces, in addition to assessing condition of food
- Cognitive and physical ability to operate electrical and mechanical kitchen equipment safely (dish washer, food processors, blenders, etc.)