JOB DESCRIPTION – Kitchen Assistant
Assist in the preparation of main dishes and baked goods; chopping vegetables, salad making, dish washing, food storing and stocking, and cleaning. Includes on-the-job training. Applicants with minimal experience in quantity cooking, vegetarian cooking and/or food service will be considered.
- Desire to work in the food service, in a rural camp setting.
- Demonstrated interest in cooking. Some cooking experience preferred, especially safe knife skills! (Quantity or vegetarian cooking experience not needed, but also preferred).
- Ability to read and adjust recipes with weights & measures, and menus.
- Ability to work well in a close team situation, with daily deadlines.
- Ability to learn and do tasks as assigned.
- Ability to accept feedback and guidance, and seek guidance when needed.
- Conversant in English.
- Minimum age, 20.
- High School graduate with at least one year post graduate work experience or education
Responsible to: Food Service Director and Chef/Meal Manager
- Assist in preparation of meals by performing any combination of the following tasks:
* wash, peel, cut vegetables and fruit
* prepare salads
* prepare breads, crackers, condiments, etc
* prepare and/or assist with preparation of entrees, soup, side dishes, baked goods
* prepare drinks
- Meal service duties:
* delivers food to tables at the beginning of the meal
* serve at “window” during meal times (for seconds & special requests)
* properly store left-overs at end of each meal
* oversee meal clean-up team of youth and/or staff, as needed
* table setting prior to meal
* assist in transport and set-up of weekly picnic or food for special events
- Kitchen maintenance and up-keep tasks such as:
* stocking, rotating stock
* empty trash, compost and recyclable on a regular basis
* fold and store kitchen laundry, prepare used linens for pick-up by laundry service
* receive and put away deliveries, helping unload truck as needed
* wash pots, pans, dishes between meals (manual and machine santizier)
* set up pre-wash station prior to meal clean-up
* sweep and mop kitchen floor
* make sure counters, sinks, and washing area are kept clean
- Prepare food for “take-out” as requested (for special guest needs, cabin nights, staff events, special evening programs)
- Assist in any area of kitchen or dining hall, as requested by Food Service Manager
- These are not the only duties to be performed. Some duties may be reassigned, and others may be assigned as required.
- Evaluate procedures and menu at end of season, making recommendations for next season
Secondary Responsibilities: (to be determined, depending on interests and skills of the applicant):
- As wish and able, offer free time activity options to youths, or fulfill some other programmatic role of interest.
- As wish and able, help w/ select evening events (design / deliver)
- Fulfill select other support functions as outlined in the general job description, applicable to all staff (i.e. helping set up and break down facility, etc.)
- Overall duties require: 1) prolonged standing, bending, stooping, walking, lifting; 2) hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate equipment and sharp tools; 3) able to lift up to 50 lbs; and 4) able to tolerate extended exposure to heat.
- Sensory ability to determine cleanliness of dishes, food contact surfaces, and kitchen area, in addition to assessing condition of food
- Cognitive and physical ability to operate electrical and mechanical kitchen equipment safely (dish washer, food processors, blenders)
- Cognitive ability to read and follow written recipes
- Physical ability & stamina to do physical work 8-10 hours/ day with intermittent breaks