The voices of young people help communities unite!
Equip Yourself to Build Community
9:30-12:30 is Morning Workshop time. You have two 1.5 hour time blocks to explore topics and develop skills.
Part One : In both sessions, everyone builds a strong foundation of dialogue skills through Living SidebySide®. This is our a peacebuilding and tolerance curriculum developed over three decades by Legacy International educators. The curriculum, which teaches communication, cultural competency, leadership and problem solving skills, is the backbone of the Global Youth Village experience. The curriculum covers:
- Dialogue as a tool: skills, approaches, guidelines; how to create and engage in successful dialogues
- Dialogue and Debate; Discussing difficult issues with grace
- Social and Emotional Intelligence: Awareness of self; awareness of others
- Communication skills: listening; communication styles; reducing misunderstanding
- Special factors and skills for cross-cultural and intercultural communication
- Prejudice and prejudice reduction; strategies for how to respond
- Conflict styles and responses; strategies for reducing and resolving conflict
- Creating positive social change
Part Two: Session A – Peacebuilder Program – The Global Faces of Leadership Workshop series includes alumni of Legacy’s programs from across the US and globe who are creating positive change and addressing issues in creative ways. These GLOBAL LEADERS are:
- Increasing citizen participation in local problem solving;
- Building economic opportunities to encourage youth employment;
- Empowering women and refugees
- Combating extremism and narrow thinking through debate programs in divided communities
- Using YouTube to teach basic skills to impoverished children
Session A – includes Six Global Faces of Leadership summits
Part Two: Session B- Community Leader Program
Session B – focuses on social cohesion and organizations doing great work to serve people and groups that are disadvantaged or marginalized. How can you develop some small initiative right now at home or in school that will include EVERYONE, that will combat bullying and celebrate diversity. The world needs to be united – take steps today.